Instagram Follow on Instagram

Belimumab 1-month update

I started Benlysta /belimumab a month ago 

Hi everyone, good to see you back here! 🌺 

I figured it's time for an update, although there's actually not much to report. I guess that's a good thing. The first month with Benlysta (which is the brand name, and belimumab is the active drug compound) has been event-free...

I had my first injection in early October...

I use the subcutaneous Benlysta autoinjectors, which I inject myself with at home once a week. It's suggested that you do the first injection under medical supervision, in case you have an allergic reaction. 

So, for the first injection, I had a nurse, who works for my pharmacy, come to my place to show me how the injections are done and to stay with me for an hour after just in case anything happened. 

It's not like you need much instruction to do these injections. They are super easy. You get these pre-filled pens, which you keep in the fridge. 


photo of a Benlysta autoinjector pen

Photo of a Benlysta autoinjector pen with an open lid

Half an hour before the injection you take them out of the fridge. And when you are ready to do the injection, you desinfect the skin and push the pen down at the injection site. Then you hold it down for a few seconds until you hear a clicking sound. 

I was a bit worried that the injections would hurt...

...because I read some online reviews, which said the injections were so painful, that they don't even manage to inject the entire liquid before they have to withdraw the pen. Some people even switched to intravenous infusions for this reason. 

Most people who made this complaint seemed to inject into the upper leg, so I decided to stay away from my legs and aimed for my side flank, where I never had problems doing the subcutaneous immunoglobulin infusions. Basically you can inject into any site of your body, where you have a bit of fat...so that you don't hit a muscleπŸ™ƒ

Thankfully it really didn't hurt much

I can feel a bit of a stingy/burning feeling during the few seconds I do the injection, but it's barely worth mentioning. So in case you ever need Benlysta, don't worry too much and just try it out.

But now to the more important questions:

Has it improved my neuropathy (yet)?

I wrote in my last post, that Benlysta is a slowly acting drug, and that the main purpose of starting it, was to stabilize my neuropathy symptoms at a mild level for now. Benlysta is licensed to treat patients with lupus (another autoimmune disease), and the general notion is that it takes on average 6-9 months until lupus patients see a notable improvement of their symptoms with Benlysta. 

I didn't expect to notice anything right away, but of course, once I start a new treatment, I'm focused on my symptoms to spot any changes, because after all you never know. 

So far, I can report that symptoms have been stable on a rather mild level. My hands are doing mostly fine and I can walk fine in padded shoes and can wear most clothes without discomfort. 

However, I still have trouble walking longer distances in non-padded shoes and my feet get warm and red/sore in very heated rooms or when I excert myself. Mind you, I'm far away from running marathons - so by exertion I mean 15 minutes on my home trainer on a casual setting..... 

Photo of feet and toes with erythromelalgia

Thats my feet after a walk the other day in my Ugg boots. They get a bit red and sore when they get warm, and I have these weird red spots. But after taking off my shoes they cool back down to normal and stop being painful.

About a week after starting Benlysta I started to be more itchy 

I noticed that my hands, feet, lower legs, and my arms would get pretty itchy once in a while, and espcecially after physical activity. This hasn't stopped yet. I still find myself scratching my skin more often than I used to. For me, itch has been a symptom whenever my neuropathy has been improving/healing in the past. I assume this must have something to do with nerve fibers gaining back function or regrowing. 

However, the problem with itchiness is that it can totally also be psychosomatic, so I really don't want to read anything into this. For me, I always get super itchy in my face exactly when I'm carrying a tray full of glasses or something and I know I can't scratch right now. Or I get itchy everytime someone tells me about being itchy....so yeah. 

And on top of that winter has just settled in, and rooms are being heated again, which always makes my skin a bit dry and itchy....So I'll wait and see...I'll keep tracking my symptoms and I won't draw any conclusions before a few months into treatment. 

The plan is to observe what happens for the next two months, and if I still have substantial symptoms in early January, I will get one or two additional shots of Daratumumab, while I maintain my Benlysta therapy. 

Do I have side effects from Benlysta? 

Thankfully, so far I haven't noticed any...πŸ™πŸ»

Starting a new drug therapy always comes with quite some anxiety for me. You never know what to expect. And being a pharmacist, of course I get informed before starting a drug. I must say, sometimes it would be easier not to know much about those drugs, but of course I can't help myself anyway...

I'm also quite traumatised from my IVIG infusions (intravenous immunoglobulins), which I had around 2 years ago, and which gave me meningitis (worst headache and nausea for days and weeks on end) after every single infusion. This was super debilitating, and I was not warned about this beforehand. But I will write about that in another post. 

The potential side effects that are reported for Benlysta/belimumab are: 

  • a potentially increased risk for infections, as is the case for all immunosuppressants. However, studies have actually found that severe infections happen very rarely. So that's a trade off I'm happy to make if it helps my small-fiber neuropathy. 

  • A potentially increased risk for cancer, which is also stated for every immunosuppressant, because the immune sytem helps to fight cancer. However, again studies have not found a relevant cancer risk for Benlysta so far. 

  • Headache, nausea, or diarrhea. But these are literally listed for every single drug on the market, so that's not to worry about too much.

  • Allergic reactions, which obviously can happen to every drug. But once, you managed the first few injections without a reaction your chances of having one are very slim. 

I was quite worried about allergic reactions, because I'm well aware that my therapy options are narrowing down. Any drug I don't tolerate is one less option to treat my neuropathy. 

So for the first two injections, I decided to take an antihistamine and another allergy drug (montelukast) an hour before the injection, just to be safe. I take these drugs before daratumumab injections, on the advice of my heamatologist, so I figured they can't hurt. But after I never had a reaction, I stopped taking them and it's been fine so far. 

  • The one side effect I was/am worried about most is a reportedly increased risk of depression and suicidal ideation. 

The patient and doctor information presents a whole section stating that you need to inform your close ones so that they can look out for any changes in your mood or behaviours....which freaked me out quite a bit. Depression is exactly what you need while fighting a rare and under-studied chronic disease and chronic pain. 🀯  

Copy of a patient leaflet warning of Benlysta

Is this for real? Will I develop depression now on top of everything??

Being a bit of an OCD-researcher, of course I went and got the original studies where they evaluated Benlysta, to see where this warning came from. And what I found was actually quite reassuring, that my chances of developing depression due to this drug don't seem overwhelmingly high. 

What follows now is a bit scientific, so if you're not interested in this, you may as well stop here. But as an epidemiologist who reads these kind of studies for a job, I think it's really interesting....maybe I'm slightly biased.πŸ™ƒ

In one of the first randomized trials to evaluate belimumab in patients with lupus, they reported that 6-7% of patients in the belimumab group developed depression, compared to only 4% in the placebo group. And a later long-term follow-up study (table below) of these patients, showed, that most of those patients developed depression in the first 2 years after starting belimumab. 

Table of a scientific study to evaluate belimumab vs placebo

Subsequent studies obviously looked very closely at the risk of depression in patients who are treated with belimumab, and most of them could not reproduce this finding. A study that was published in 2020 (in the best medical journal, table below), which evaluated belimumab to treat lupus patients with active nephritis (kidney inflammation) actually found more patients with depression in the placebo group than in the belimumab group. 

table of side effects in a study of belimumab vs placebo

A summary analysis (meta-analysis) of all randomized trials evaluating belimumab did also not find an icreased risk for psychiatric adverse events in association with belimumab when compared to placebo. 

So obvioulsy, the book on whether or not belimumab increases the risk for depression and other psychiatric diseases is not closed yet, and most studies actually find no increased risk. But it remains to be clarified why this one study found an increased risk. It could just be a chance finding, or it could have something to do with the way they collected their data, or whatever..... There have also been case reports of people who credibly report developing depression with Benlysta.

However, the whole topic is complicated by the fact, that belimumab has only ever been studied in patients with lupus, and that lupus itself can cause depression and other psychiatric conditions. So treating lupus, may well have an impact on psychiatric symptoms....all pretty complicated. 🀯 

However, once a warning like this made it into the drug leaflet, it is very difficult to remove it from there. But as a patient, who only reads the warnings without the background info, this is scary. 

It took me a whole day of literature search, to be re-assured and confident enough to start belimumab. Nonetheless, during the first 2 weeks, I was obviously over-analysing my mood for any changes. Very relaxing I know.πŸ™ˆ 

But after a month of treatment, I can report that, I think, my mood is unchanged. KNOCK ON WOOD!πŸͺ΅πŸ€›πŸ» 

However, should you ever find that I've become more depressing and/or annoying than usual, then please let me know and we'll just blame it all on Benlysta/belimumab. πŸ˜‚

And on this note, I wish you all a great week. I hope you were not too bored by this update, as stabilized conditions do not make for exciting stories, but I'll take it! I'll keep you posted on my progress and hope to finally also write down some other posts about other treatments I've had in the past. 

Thank you all for your interest in my journey and your support.πŸ’•


If you want to be notified of future posts, click below to never miss a post❤



10 comments:

m said...

❤️

Anonymous said...

It’s great that things are going well and it’s an interesting read πŸ€—

Canuck said...

Love the epi deep dive! Fingers crossed for a good response xoxo

Serena said...

So good it’s at least stabilised for now! ����

Serena said...

So good it’s at least stabilised for now! πŸ™πŸ™

Arthur said...

Hello,

I've just had a skin biopsy by my neurologist (I live in Boston) this past week> He's seems rather certain that I have SFN but it takes a few weeks to get results. My symptoms started this past September while vacationing in Venice (resiratory infection may have kicked it off) and the pain is mostly in my feet and legs. Walking on concrete sidewalks for 20 minutes is now torture and I can no longer wear anything but highly padded sneakers. I'm taking Gabapentin for pain and it helps at night when lying in bed but not with pain that occurs when standing or walking. I used to hike every year in Lauterbrunnen but that now seems an impossibility. Do you recommend seeing Dr. Oaklander at MGH or do you know of other neuro's in Boston who are well versed in treating SFN?
Best of Luck w your treatment!

MeAndMyNeuropathy said...

Hi Arthur, so sorry you have to got hrough this as well! It sounds so much like mine!! I cqn definitely recommend Prof. Oaklander. However, i've heard from others tht it is very difficult getting an appointment. There is a Dr Farhad in the Boston area who is specialized and can guve more timely appointments. He has e erltise in the autoimmune area too and will test you for specific antibodies for SFN and so. Have you discussed treatment yet? Btw: my tipp for winter: Ugg boots have helped me a lot with being able to walk....

MeAndMyNeuropathy said...

You can find a list of experts in your area here as well

https://neuropathycommons.org/experts-directory/us?field_age_group_target_id%5B139%5D=139&field_state_target_id%5B309%5D=309

Arthur said...

Yes, I found Dr. Farhad Khosro's information and will set up an appointment.One more question; have you found any functional medicine doctors or clinics that have a dietary approach (food as medicine) to this disease? Thank you for your website, it helps so much to communicate with others who have this condition!
Arthur

MeAndMyNeuropathy said...

I'm so glad to hear you find my blog helpful! That's the reason why i set it up, and I appreciate the exchange with others a lot! Good luck getting a timely appointment!! I'm sure you'll be in good hands, i heard of several people, who were very happy with him. I haven't really tried any diet to reduce my neuropathy and haven't seen any functional medical doc. Mainly i think bc I didn't feel like restricting myself there on top of everything else. I know alcohol exacerbates symptoms, whenever they are poorly controlled. Other than that i haven't noticed any food impact, i know some people who tried low carb and all that, but not sure if that was a success. I've also tried accupuncture, which didn't help me unfortunately. I also had chinese herbal medicine, but it's hard to know if they did anything bc I was on steroids at the same time.