Instagram Follow on Instagram

Neuropathy flare caused by a virus...🦠

I caught a viral infection... 

Hi everyone, good to see you back here! 🌺 

I hope you all had a happy and restful holiday break. I'm checking in with an update on my small-fiber neuropathy. 

I've been dealing with a neuropathy flare since November

In one of my last updates, I told you that my neuropathy was only mildly active and overall didn't limit me too much. I had started belimumab in October to further improve and stabilize it, and things were stable. But as always, things change unexpectedly...  

So what exactly happened?

In late November I caught a bad cold (or whatever it was)

I was watching TV on a Sunday evening, and I could feel a scratch in my throat, which quickly developed into a very sore throat. The next morning, I woke up feeling under the weather with a headache, a very sore throat, and a whole-body muscle ache. I didn't have a fever, so I was hoping that it wouldn't get too bad and would pass within a few days. 

However, three days into this infection I started feeling sick to my stomach and spent a night throwing up...(sorry for the TMI🙃). 

The next day, I woke up with a 39°C fever and felt terrrible. We did take Covid tests, which were negative (yes, Steve was pretty sick as well....). I also tested my COVID antibodies two weeks ago and didn't have any, so we definitely didn't have COVID. 

I spent the whole day in bed, and the fever gradually improved, but it kept lingering between 37 and 38 degrees for several days. This is when I started to get worried... 

Viral infections make me nervous... 

because my neuropathy was orinigally triggered by a cold. And pretty much every neuropathy exacerbation since then was preceded by some sort of respiratory infection. Don't get me wrong, not every cold causes my neuropathy to flare up. I've had many colds, that passed without any drama.  

However, it does feel like playing Russian roulette every time...🦠🦠🦠

One week into this viral infection, I was still running a high temperature and I was up doing something on my computer. Suddenly, my lower right arm felt really uncomfortable while I was typing and it touched the surface of my desk.

It's a really weird type of pain, that I've dealth with all of last winter; it's a strong hypersensitivity to any objects touching my skin. It feels kind of electric, scratchy, and achy at the same time, but strangely it's not sore to touch when someome touches the skin with their hand. 

I knew this wasn't good news....

I tried to talk it down and hoped it was just a brief flare up due to my fever. But the next morning I woke up, and I knew this stupid virus had triggered a pretty big neuropathy flare. My whole body was in pain and pretty much all of the fun symptoms I dealt with last winter were back.😡 

I was so bummed out... just when I was improved enough to exercise a little, this happened. 

The day before my sore throat started, I had done 30 minutes on my crosstrainer for the first time in several months, without my neuropathy playing up. I was telling Steve how excited I was about this, and that I wanted do this a few times a week to get fit(ter) again....but this obviously hasn't happened now.

Here are a few impressions of my neuropathy flare

The morning after my arm got sore, I woke up to something that looked and felt exactly like a bad sunburn on my neck and chest. My skin was really hot, burned, and itched. I kept scratching, which only made it worse, so I really had to concentrate on not touching it and to wear clothes that didn't touch the red area of skin. 

picture of erythromelalgia with small fiber neuropathyon neck and chest


This was a new level of annoying!

I'd had irritated skin around my neck and chest before, but never like this. Last winter, the skin around my neck and chest always felt a bit scratchy and I couldn't wear woolen cardigans for instance. However, it was never visible and certainly never that itchy.

I applied cortisone cream several times a day, but that didn't really calm it down. Two days after it started, I swallowed a pretty high dose of dexamethasone (20mg) that I still had at home from my daratumumab injections. This did actually calm it down, but only to come back two days later.

Thankfully, this 'sunburn' started to calm down 10 days later. By now, I have some remaining red spots, which feel warm to touch, but they are not itchy or sore anymore.🙏🏻

I wonder if this rash around my neck had something to do with the fact that my throat was pretty badly infected. I've never had the focus of my symptoms on my neck before.🤷🏼‍♀️ But that's just one more untested hypothesis...


Of course, whenever neuropathy flares, my feet get really sore. Before this infection, I was able to go for pretty long walks in soft shoes, such as Ugg boots, and I could also wear 'normal' shoes as long as I didn't walk too far.

The day before I develeped my gastro symptoms, I had actually gone for a 1 hour walk in the cold, which probably wasn't the smartest idea in hindsight. I thought that getting some steps in might help me to get fit again, but I was probably sicker than I admitted. Walking in the cold certainly didn't help my body fighting down this virus...

At the same time as my 'sunburn' started, my feet got really sore 

They felt really hot and got sore pretty much as soon as I tried walking in any sort of shoes. They were also really sensitive to heat, and I had erythromelalgia from the smallest physical exertion or warm temperatures. They also felt crampy as though I had a tight band around my feet even when I was bare foot, especially at night or during rest.

Also my hands got sore again... 

although they had pretty much been symptom free prior to the infection. These are my hands about a week after the flare started. Looks great right?! They were not always that red, and thankfully my hands have calmed down a fair bit by now again, but I still get hypersensitivity during some activities.


So how am I doing now?

Thankfully, symptoms have calmed down a bit over the past 2 weeks. I've been on belimumab since October. I'm not sure if my improvement is due to belimumab, or due to the fact that the infection has calmed down by now. It's probably a mix of both.

However, even though my neuropathy has stabilized, it's still worse than it was prior to the infection. It's mainly my feet that bother me a lot. They get sore and hot when I walk, so it's not easy to get around. And when I try to exercise on my hometrainer they get warm and red, which makes them sore as well.

What's the plan to get this back under control? 

I spoke to Prof. Wexler on the phone last week. We decided to go ahead with two daratumumab infusions in January. This should theoretically get this flare under control, and then we aim so stabilize it further with belimumab, which I'm already on.

But we'll have to wait and see how it plays out in practice

The thing with belimumab is that it works very slowly, so we added the two daratumumab infusions to speed things up.

Before I hung up the phone, I wished him a good start into 2022. Then he said to me, that he really hopes that next year will be less trouble for me. He said '2021 must have been a lot for you'...And I couldn't agree more! 

It was reassuring to hear, that even he thought that 2021 had been a lot. This thought had definitely crossed my mind several times, but I've had nothing to compare my situation too. 

Prof. Wexler sees many patients with small-fiber neuropathy, and apparently I must have stuck out with particularly many ups and downs in a short period of time. But on the bright side, at least it was not only downs, but we have found ways to beat my neuropathy back under control when it was really bad...  

So let's not jinx 2022 - I'll take it as it comes and don't expect smooth sailing...🤞🏼

I know that many patients with small-fiber neuroapthy experience many continuous downs, and are unseccessfully fighting for drug treatment or proper diagnosis. When I hear this, I know that I can consider myself lucky with regard to the fact that I've so far gotten all possible expensive treatments. 

If you are one of those patients, I want you to know that I've got my fingers crossed tightly for things to start moving in the right direction in 2022 and that you find some answers that start moving the path upwards. 

I hope that my blog can at least show that it is possible to treat this very frustrating disease, even after some treatments failed. Even if I'm also still trying to figure out the perfect long-term treatment. 

And on this note I wish you all a good start into 2022 

My new year's resolution for 2022 is to try and live more in the moment. If chronic illness can teach you one thing, then it's that things can change quickly and that you shouldn't postpone things that you could enjoy today. 

I have to admit, I definitely haven't mastered that discipline yet, and I'm still very much the same old control freak I've always been. But I promise I'll work on it.🙃

As a first step, Steve and I have booked a lovely holiday appartment in the mountains for 4 days over new years eve, which I'm looking forward to a lot. And after that it's almost time for my daratumumab infusion. 

Thank you for following my journey.💕 I'll keep you all posted...

If you want to be notified of future posts, click below to never miss a post❤



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn, it sucks that it comes back when you get any sort of infection. At least you are recording the data and can learn more each time. Let's hope that with time you can somehow preempt an onset. Is that something you're looking into?

Thanks for sharing btw and fingers crossed for the next infusions 🙏

Desiree said...

Dear J. I really keep my fingers crossed qnd wish you good things coming for 2022. I agree, I think you have been through a lot. I admire you for always being so brave, strong and positive. I hope treatment will be successful and that you will be able to enjoy walks and exercising on your crosstrainer. All the best and some beautiful relaxing days in the mountains. ❤🤗

Kristy Jaimon said...

Hi Julia,
Wow and here I was thinking you had barely had any issues with it lately! You sure have been through a lot, and you handle it all amazingly well. You're so strong.
I hope the upcoming injections do help, and you're able to have some fun in the mountains! Can't wait to see you guys again xoxox

Serena said...

It has been a lot for sure!! Let’s hope 2022 will be a lot more ups and no more downs!! Until then, enjoy the fresh mountain air!! 😘😘😘

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your flare up, it must be especially difficult ocurring during the holidays! Let's all hope for a better 2022. Happy New Year!
Arthur

MeAndMyNeuropathy said...

Thank you all so much for your comments!!

It's an interesting question whether it's possible to preempt a neuropathy flare after infections. I'm not sure that's possible, other than trying not to catch too many viruses. However, it is known for many autoimmune diseases, that the more tightly the symptoms are controlled the less they get thrown out of whack from external influences. So I guess, I have to work towards stabilizing it as good as I can with drugs and hopefully it will resistt future viruses.

@Desiree: Thanks so much for the New Years Wishes! I hope you had a smooth start into the new year as well. I really hope treatment will be successful too - fingers crossed. At least it seems to easy up a little at the moment anyway and I've gotten my 10 000 steps in in my Ugg boots for the first time since the infection.🎉

@Kristy: I can't wait to finally see you as well! Fingers crossed we can finally come to Autralia again this year. I didn't really talk about my flare much, cause there wasn't much to be done about it anyway, and then I just try to ignore it a bit, so don't worry, the slow communication was definitely on my end and not yours:)

@Serena: We are enjoying the mountains a lot, and yes, fingers crossed for 2022🙃

@Arthur: Thank you so much for your message and Happy New Year to you as well! How are you doing? Have you seen Dr. Farhad yet and gotten some answers?

Anonymous said...

Hi Julia,

Thanks for your note. No, I have not as I am still waiting for the results of my skin biopsy which was performed by a neurologist at Tufts NEMC (Boston) although he was very certain that I have SFN. If I get a confirmation of SFN then I will call Dr. Farhad. My pain is getting worse but only when I am standing (which can be excruciating pain if I stand long enough without moving around) or walking especially on hard surfaces. I am almost foot pain free when sitting or lying down although sometimes I wake up at night with severe pain in my ankles or mild burning sensations. Do you experience most of your foot pain when standing or walking or is it somewhat constant? (BTW I don't have erythromyalgia at all.) Please keep blogging as it is very interesting and informative to hear about your the symptoms of your flare ups and the medications you are taking to fight this horrible condition. I have not been able to find any other current forum or well written blog about SFN. Thank you so much for your well written posts, you write better than most Americans!
Best,
Arthur

MeAndMyNeuropathy said...

Hi Arthur,

Thank you very much for your kind comment, I'm very happy that you find my blog useful. If medicine can't provide good and fast solutions, then us patients have to organize ourselves I guess:)

To your question: yes I do have most pain when I'm on my feet. Not so much when standing, but mostly when walking. For me, when symptoms are bad the bottoms of my feet are very painful when I walk. It sort of feels like I'm walking ofn sharp gravel and at it's worst I felt like I was walking on broken glass. But thankfully that hasnt happened in a long time now.

At rest my feet are mostly fine, except if I overdo it and exert myself too much, then I might feel a pay back at night. Also just after my flare started now, my feet felt crampy and hot at rest as well. But thankfully that has gone again now.

So you can see, my symptoms are quite dynamic....they can change quickly. But thankfully not only in one direction. Fingers crossed you get your biopsy result soon and can then move on the finding therapy as well!!

best, Julia

Anonymous said...

Hi Julia,
Just wondering how the treatment is going and hoping you are symptom free. I’d love to hear more of what might be working!
Rgds,
Arthur

MeAndMyNeuropathy said...

Hi Arthur,

Thanks a lot for checking in. I know I haven't posted in a while, but I'm actually working on a new post and will hopefully post an update today:)
I did have treatment again in January, so it's time to let you all know how it's going.

I hope you are finding answers and are getting closer to a treatment?

Best, Julia

Anonymous said...

Hi Julia,

I came across your blog recently. I've emailed you as well, if you dont mind.

I'm really struggling w/ SFN, mine is one of the most horrific cases I've come across (full body, feet and legs about 70% numb, has destroyed my social and professional life). I failed IVIG w/ no response and planned on bringing Dara up to my neurologist as he's open minded and not sure what to try next other than Rituxan, which from my research I cannot find anyone who it has worked for.

I was wondering how you are doing now? is dara working again? Do you still plan on doing it every 6m? if you cant talk by email (i had a few questions before i talk to my neuro) then just update me here if you dont mind!

Also, thank you for all of the time you've spent detailing all of this, you are amazing!

MeAndMyNeuropathy said...

Hi there,

Thanks for your comment and sorry to hear about your case. I just answered by mail as well. Yeah Rituximab did not do any wonders for me either. I'll write a post about my IVIG and Rituxi experience some time soon. Rituxi stabilized it a bit but not more than that. But may still be worth a try, I know that my neuro saud it worked for some of his patients, mainly those with Sjogrens as well though and so.

Dara has definitely worked best for me-the question is just whether you can get this thrue with your insurance without trying other things first. But definitely no bad side effects for me other than immunosuppression, which is just part of the deal, but always happy to take that vs SFN! During the first course they made me take prophylactic antibiotics, which i was no fan of, but it was fine as well and I stopped them after stopping weekly infusions.

I'm glad you found my blog and find it helpful!!

Hope to hear some good news from you soon!